Saturday, September 15, 2012

Labor day was busy and seems since then all I have  done is labor. But now, time to catch you up.The Bon Appetite shrimp recipe I mentioned in my last post was a HIT. We added grilled eggplant, cherry tomatoes and baby zucchini. When we enjoyed the shrimp the charred lemons were delicious. The feta mint greek yoghurt sauce  (the recipe called for dill but I used mint instead) was delicious on the shrimp but also the grilled veggies. This was a very easy recipe and I'd recommend it. Try it!

Here is the link:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-and-lemon-skewers-with-feta-dill-sauce



For the holiday we grilled chicken and I made these home made Greek Gyros from The Londoner. She had it right on the tzatziki sauce. It was delicious and perfect with the chicken. We added tomatoes, lettuce and avocado. I didn't have the energy to run out for flat bread so we used grilled tortillas, a reasonable substitute. YUMMY.

Her photos are better than mine, but the taste was as good. Maybe my next efforts will be food photography or styling?

http://www.thelondoner.me/search/label/recipe


Here is her recipe for the sauce. I loved it and  can see it on veggies, sandwiches, grilled zucchini...

Tzatziki:
350g/12oz Zero fat Greek yoghurt
1 grated cucumber
Juice of 1 lemon
2 crushed garlic cloves
Pinch of salt
Splash of extra virgin olive oil
A pinch of paprika

In a large bowl, mix together your yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic & salt. Swirl in your olive oil & mix. When you're done, cover it with cling film & pop it in the fridge.
The flavours will start to develop as it sits.



Bon Appetite has a good recipe for shrimp and tzatziki:
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2008/08/shrimp_skewers_with_tzatziki_spinach_and_feta




Since then, I have been committed to increased protein and veggies and the City Market doesn't disappoint. The late summer veggies are beautiful and the fall greens and arugula are a nice addition.
I've missed arugula these hot months and the big  leaf variety is wonderful. Several of the Market vendors have it and we scoot over early to grab it before the crowds buy it all.

I like arugula in a salad, this one from Pinterest and  http://www.marthastewart.com  looks perfect with beets and orange:


ENJOY!

No comments: