Saturday, August 11, 2012

Seems  I took the idea of doing nothing on vacation seriously. After the first day I did just that, and never posted. The obligation of this blog is interesting. I think about posts all day long, things to share,  but never write them! Can't explain it.  Well actually, laziness and trying to move away from any obligations I suspect!

We had a terrific time at the beach and seafood was on the menu daily. We read books, ran ( HOT and HUMID) and walked daily, in the mornings and relaxed, always planning the next meal. Usually involving some type of yummy seafood but not always. The Fishmonger had terrific fresh fish and shrimp daily- red snapper, grouper and more. We go to Goatfeathers in Seagrove. B says the line is always out the door and they are busy until they push the door shut at 6pm. We like their freshness and variety.

The peaches from Clanton Durbin Farms were good this year. Seems we can never get enough of them. The are good plain, cut up for breakfast cereal and grilled. We added amoretti cookies crushed on top one  night and baked them; well imagine:  sweet and crunchy and tasty. Yum. Yes, we ate them all! One night M made homemade vanilla ice cream from my great grandmother's recipe and we had sliced peaches on top. Well, now you know why we had to run or walk every morning!



We took in mornings at the beach  under the pavilion  reading and going for a beach walks. In the heat of the day, we used afternoons for naps, reading, walking trips to town center and lazing around. I must say terribly good for de-stressing.



Each night we worked on the signature drink, cosmopolitans were a hit. One night we went out for sunset  drinks and then dinner in town at Crush. Very good crab salad and fish tacos. I'd go back for sure for that fantastic crab salad with tomato, butter lettuce and lemon champagne vinaigrette.WOAH. I would actually go for that any day, as it was fabulous.

One day C made a new sandwich she had tried in the Hamptons the prior weekend : Grilled Chicken, provolone, pesto, spicy mayo , grilled red onion, lettuce, all on grilled ciabatta. BOY it was yummy. I'd  make that again. Well, I'd eat that again, as I cant say I made them but sure did enjoy them.







We served this with tomato, cucumber and grilled corn salad with the best french vinaigrette. I confess you can see on my plate a few fritoes!! HA - BUSTED! I can't be at the beach without some incriminating chips.  Well,  that balanced out the healthy sandwiches. C wanted to put these on fociacca but the beach grocery had never even heard of such! So she tried two breads, grilled ciabatta and  flat bread. Both were fine, the ciabatta was best.

The last day at the beach it was perfect, serene, clear and  beautiful. You can't beat the beaches of Florida for that sugar sand and aqua waters.



Now home to reality and work. 'Trying to get unpacked and making farro salad for lunch. Heirloom tomatoes and the best cherry tomatoes at the farmer's market this morning make cooking easy.  The veggies are beautiful and inspiring. After our run this morning and Cafe Cubano latte ( Stef does it again) we strolled the market stocking up on fresh veggies and fruit for the week. I have missed the market and it is good to be back, visiting with friends and our favorite vendors .

My Italian friend M from Spello, turned me onto farro and it is delicious. We all like it in the running group and it makes a good salad. Fresh herbs, lemon vinaigrette, tomatoes, cucumber, and grilled chicken. This brand is from whole foods and is Italian from Sienna. I think it is as authentic as I can find in my town and I like the nutty taste and bite. This of course makes up for that Fritoe splurge!



Oh how I wish I was back at Seaside!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

wish I could have been there for all the food and cocktails!