Saturday, October 20, 2012

Goodness. I have been so busy traveling I have not posted in weeks. Well,  there is a lot to tell.
First Frankie had the last of the San Marzanos Tomatoes  at the market so I bought a bag full and roasted them. They were delicious. I also froze some for a cold winter night's soup or pasta dish. It was easy and made enough for more than one dish.

SO here's what I do: Slice them in half. Put face up on a cookie sheet with olive oil and fresh thyme. I added garlic cloves so I could use the garlic later. It just slides out of the skins and can be smashed with some olive oil and spread on bread with roasted tomatoes for a starter  bruschetta.

Bake slowly to roast and caramelize. Maybe 2-3 hours on low temp. The flavors get intense. Later I used these to make a chicken and pasta dish with fresh basil and fresh Mozzarella from Butter Boy at the City Market. Delicious.

When they come out very tender, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and sea salt make then perfect.





The next evening, I sauted them with fresh chicken and garlic.
I added fresh Basil and  tossed with Mozzarella and pasta. Easy but satisfying,

Chicken tenders sauteed  until brown, and then I added the tomatoes and heated well.


Happy Fall! Get those tomatoes before they are gone. This winter we will all be longing for that rich tomato flavor!

With my friend R we canned 42 quarts of Romas and San Marzanos It was worth the day it took. This winter we will be in heaven when we can open one and prepare a delicious tomato dish.



enjoy!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

those tomatoes make cold nyc nights better! hope you saved some for me!